Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness ~My Wish


On this last day of September, having looked back at Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness month, I can honestly say that this year seemed to be one of the most successful in spreading the word about this disease.  I have seen posts full of beautiful people with streaks of blue in their hair, listened to songs with blue in the title, watched touching videos of personal stories, read facts and blogs.  So many amazing people trying to do their part to let the world know how PF touched their lives; from patients themselves, to foundations, caregivers, friends and family members who lost someone to this disease.  

In trying to do my little part to contribute, I can say that it often is not the easy thing to do.  Can you imagine having this disease, yet posting and reading about the short life expectancy, or the terrible symptoms you may one day experience?  Or, as in myself, and many others that have lost a loved one, to relive the experience with every bit of research you do or the moment you tell your story to someone else?  It is not easy, but I see the strength of all of those who continue to advocate and I feel stronger, too.  

It is my wish that our collective stories have touched and informed some of those who have never heard of the disease.  That the general public becomes aware of Pulmonary Fibrosis and that one day, that awareness may lead to more funding for research and alternatives in medications, prevention, or a cure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment