Saturday, April 13, 2013

Soul SAT's

Oxygen Saturation (SAT): 
Oxygen is vital for human survival. All the cells in our body need a certain amount of oxygen to carry out their duties. Oxygen saturation is the amount of oxygen that red blood cells carry, which attach to hemoglobin molecules. Normal saturation levels are 95 to 99 percent. Typically, a person will only reach 100 percent when supplemental oxygen is used. It's when saturation levels fall below 90 percent that the body begins to suffer adverse effects.  (via eHow.com)
 
The above photo is of an Oxygen Saturation journal that I kept while caring for my husband.  We usually took his SAT measurements when he was resting, then right after activity, such as a bath.  We documented how far his SAT levels dropped and how long they took to recover.  It was helpful for my husband and I to see how we could adjust his Oxygen intake according to his needs. 
 
As the description above indicates, that Oxygen is vital for human survival.  If the saturation level drops below certain levels then it can affect the rest of the body.  When my husbands SAT's dropped, he became tired and listless.
 
This has me wondering if the Soul or Spirit within us needs its own nourishment, just as our body does.  After my husband passed away, I spent a great deal of time in shock.  I dealt with this loss by realizing all the things that needed to be done around me and I busied myself with this.  As I wrote previously, I created a list of goals to achieve and set about achieving them all. 
 
Now, I seem to be taking a time out.  Wondering to myself what list of goals I should create next.  I sat down and started writing all of my goals, whether planting a garden or painting the house.  I know these are positive things.  But, I just sit and look at the list.  Stumped as to where to start.  My heart does not seem to be in it.  I have realized that may be because my soul needs nourishment so that it can breathe and grow.  To listen to my soul, my spirit.  To give it nourishment, feed it new oxygen.  I want to put that at the top of my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment