Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Up or Down?


**Diary Entry**

I remember when my husband and I first moved into our home together.  It was just two months after we were married and not only was I moving into a new home, but it was also a brand-new town, in a new state.  My husband was born in the state we lived and we spent much time there while we were dating.  I soon fell in love with this area.  The thing is, when we married and moved, I did not know a single soul and felt very displaced.  I guess you could say I went through a "down" period.  I wondered about my new life and where I fit into the little town that we now called home.  So many changes at once!  It seemed I had a hard time adjusting. 

Now, as I look back on my "down" period, I see it with such fondness.  What a lovely time it really was...our whole marriage and life, before us.  Many adventures to be had and a journey, as a family, that would lead us into the strongest of bonds.  In my heart, I have realized that, that period was one of the best times I will experience in my lifetime.  Funny- that I did not see it that way, then. 

Which brings me to this period in my life...
I see that my hubby is very ill and within five short months I have watched his physical strength become out of his reach.  It hurts to see him struggle, while my love and respect for him, immeasurable.  I now, look at this time in my life and think that this must be one of the most "down" times I have ever been through.  Yet, we are able to spend time together, holding hands and talking about everything along the way.  We talk about things that we would have never thought to discuss and share deeper within our hearts than we knew could be possible. 

Which makes me wonder, will one day, long from now, will I look back at this period and think to myself that this was also one of the fondest times of my life?
One never knows, because life is funny, that way...

No comments:

Post a Comment