Sunday, February 6, 2011

Home Care


When it was suggested that we start recieving Home-Care for my husband, I did not know what to think.  The idea is somone would come into our home and help him with light chores, to assist in walking, making meals and bathing.  

The first thing I was concerned about was, who would this person be?  
How would he or she coming into our home affect us?


  
Would she be mean and bossy like Nurse Ratched from One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest? 
Because, if that were the case- forget about it
She wouldn't last a minute in our home...



Would she be a sexy bombshell, twenty-years younger than myself, with a drop-dead figure? 
I guess if she was nice, then I might consider it, although that would not be my preference. 
Sorry Hubby!



Would she get our sense of humor? 
Would we feel comfortable being ourselves around this person? 
These are some of the questions that ran through our minds...



We decided to interview a candidate before committing to a person. 
Not all Home-Care worker's are required to be a certified nurse, so really,
I did not know what to expect. 
I was relieved to see that she wore a shirt more similar to this,
rather than the Marilyn Monroe outfit that I had envisioned- Thank Goodness!

She sat in a rocking chair in our bedroom and
listened to us talk. 
She was a certified nursing assistant.  She was young, but smart -far beyond her age,
as she had taken care of her grandmother, to the very end. 
We could sense a caring soul in her, not to mention that she actually laughed at some of our jokes. 
This is a good sign!


So, she began coming over everyday. 
To be honest, I did not know what she would be doing besides hanging out with my husband because,
 I felt we had things pretty much under control. 

Until, one morning, my husband seemed to get worse and had difficulty catching his breath. 
He laid in bed completely exhausted and I had to go to work with a worried mind. 
But, our Home-Care worker was there with him, and that gave me some peace of mind.


All that day, she texted me, every step of the way.  
What he had eaten, how he was feeling... 
I was so grateful and I texted her back how blessed I was to have her.  Do you know what she wrote back?
She wrote that she feels we are already like family to her, and felt that fate is the reason we were put together. 
I am happy to say, I couldn't agree more!

photos via: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7

No comments:

Post a Comment