Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Air


Air. 
We all need it. 
Honestly, I had never thought so consciously about it, 
'til the day my husband couldn't get enough of it. 
Suddenly, I watched my strong, cowboy of a man,
being told by doctors that he would require
additional oxygen day and night,  
due to his sudden diagnosis of Pulmonary Fibrosis
From that day in October, life as we knew it- had suddenly changed. 

The same day he was prescribed oxygen,
he could no longer work and had to leave his job. 
Now, you have to understand, this is the type of person who took great pride
in supporting his family the best he could.  
He had no warning that his health was at such a critical point.
How would being connected to a 30 foot hose
affect his spirit and morale? 
I also wondered, what was going to happen to our family
and how would we get by.



On the bright side, at least now he could breathe a bit better. 
It really amazes me how something, 
that we cannot see or taste, touch or smell;
is essential to our basic function.  
That little thing,
called oxygen.

No comments:

Post a Comment